Wednesday, October 15, 2008

High Pedestal





Being put on a high pedestal is like being in the spotlight. People watch your every move, every change, and every mistake. Some AfrItalicican Americans will favor you if you have long and straight hair and a smooth complexion. Having these certain features can put light-skinned Black women on a very high pedestal.

Because of this, it pains me to feel that I am valued more if I am a lighter skin shade. Even though I am a lighter shade of brown, this idea makes me feel like I am a representation of something that is wrong. But this is a color that I can not help!

For a notion to exist is simply crude and unjust! Why should my friends of dark complexion have to be discriminated against because they are not light? Just because they look better, why do young Black girls grow up playing with dolls that can pass for White? Why is that what is beautiful in Africa, is not beautiful in the United States?

From the beginning of time, African American girls and women have been brainwashed to believe these crippling perceptions that they did not know would follow them throughout their entire life. I have encounted instances where I have seen the brighter woman get the position with the huge salary, benefits, corner office with the city view; but the darker woman got the position as her administrative assistant. It is still a respectable and honorable position but, the darker woman is still in the position under the lighter woman.

According to Yasmine Toney, a dark skinned woman of Detroit, said on MSNBC. com --“I think they get to slide in a little easier,” Toney, who is pursuing a master’s degree in counseling, said of women with lighter skin. “They are assumed to be passive and nice and sweet. I feel I have to do a little bit more. Number one, I’m black. Number two, I’m dark and I have short hair."


When I watch the latest music videos on BET and MTV, I notice that the video models are light skinned and have European features and have long silky hair, mostly hair weave, that are depicted as physical attributes. It is disturbing because many kids tune in to watch these music videos and they do not get to see the beautiful variations in color of African American women.


It is no wonder that Whites and other races think that light skinned woman are socially acceptable because of what they see in the media. Also, I notice even with dating that there are certain stereotypes attached to dark and light skinned women. In my own group of friends, I have heard my male friends say that they would not date a darker women because they do not want to deal with hassle of their "bad attitudes" and "mood swings."


Within the same conversation, they said that they would rather have a relationship with a light skinned woman because she is "nice" and "well mannered" and "prettier than most." In my own encounters with the opposite sex, I was favored not because of my bubbly personality and sense of humor but simply because I was a "yellowbone" or "redbone."


Neither dark skinned women nor light skinned women should be casted as a certain stereotype because of characteristics and traits of the them. No one person should be put on a high pedestal because of how they act or how they perceive to be--let alone what color they possess.


Further elaborating on this issue is Black Horizons Magazine writer, Tia Ewing, with her article, "Light Skin verses Dark Skin--What's In?"


African Americans were suppressed and oppressed for hundreds of years due to slavery. Within the idea of slavery was an overall mental blockade. This blockade affected the idea of unity within our race to prevent any plausible cause of revolting against slave masters. Sadly enough, this idea still looms in our modern-day culture.


Many African-Americans are feeling the wrath of racial segregation. However, this racial injustice is stemming from none other but our own people.


For years television has depicted light-skinned African Americans as beautiful, probably because light-skin is the closest thing to being Caucasian. Are media networks like MTV and BET contributing to this notion that stems from slavery?


“I feel that BET is contributing to the younger generation’s views on skin color,” said ‘D,’ a sophomore who did not want his name mentioned. “BET shows a lot of videos that depict beauty as light skin with long hair.”


Music networks may be a contributing factor to the problem, which leaves some black women in the cold. However, black men have a mind of their own when picking their women. Or do they?“


My preference is dark-skinned females, due to the fact that my grandmother is dark-skinned and I think that persuades how I feel,” said Idris Green, a senior in history. “There is a perception that light-skinned is better, not to say that it is true. I feel it is just an image.”


“The image in the media is the light-skinned black woman or white woman,” said ‘A,’ a sophomore who wished not to be mentioned.


“I am fed up with foreign (models) in the videos who need a green card. Why not put a real citizen in the videos? Do you think Jay-Z knew any beautiful models when he was a nobody, looking like a camel!”


“I would love to see a dark-skinned person in the videos, but not too many people find dark skin beautiful,” said Brian, a recent graduate from Ohio State. “Who cares what color you are as long as you’re fine, I don’t care.”


Since the media and the rest of society seems to think of the light-skinned black person as more acceptable in magazines like Cosmopolitan, and TV advertisements like Noxzema facial cleanser, is this stereotype trickling down to what blacks think is an acceptable skin color? Are African Americans now starting to categorize the light-skinned black as being better than the dark-skinned black person, especially when it comes to male/female relations?


“I love all black women, they are all beautiful! There are so many to choose from. Who would want a white woman with all the beautiful, intelligent sistas in this world, said Lee, a senior. “Besides, all black women have a butt bigger than J.Lo, so I don’t understand the hype about her. It is sad that brothers are so lost, using and abusing their women.”


“If a man is going to judge me on account of what I look like, instead of what I have to offer mentally, then he is not worth my time,” said Trishana Jones, a junior. “Men watch TV and see all these light-skinned females with nice figures and they have the idea of that it is what all women should look like. That’s nice if you have long hair or you look like a model, but that is not being realistic.”


Whether your skin is light or dark, hershey kiss or butterfinger, there is more to African Americans than their outer appearance. It’s just unfortunate that the media doesn’t always feel the same.

No comments: